My fabric buying budget has been a little low lately, but I won’t let that dampen my zeal for sewing! Whenever I run out of new fabric I start hunting through my “archives” to see if there are any pieces that I can recycle. I found a few test scarves that I made when I first started experimenting with shibori, and I thought they might look cool pieced together into a colorful patchwork of some kind.
Close-ups of the shibori scarves.
I laid out the scarves in different ways until I found a combination I liked.
I decided to go with a long flowing kaftan with shoulder cut-outs. I like to keep the silhouette simple when the fabric is so colorful and kaftans are basically a rectangle with holes for your arms and head.
I first stitched all of the scarves together to make two larger pieces of fabric, then cut out the front and back pieces from these.
The front pattern piece of the kaftan.
I sewed all of the seams with french seams. It does take a little longer because you have to sew each seam twice, but they look so nice when they are done. They make the inside of your garment look as good as the outside!
French seams for the persnickety seamstress in us all…
And here is the (almost) finished product:
After photographing it, I thought the shoulder cut-outs needed a little adjusting. With such a colorful voluminous garment I think there needs to be a good balance between fabric and skin, so you don’t look like Mrs. Roper…
I made the cut-outs a little bigger and finished them with blue bias binding. The binding added definition and the hint of blue picked up the blue in the rest of the dress.
I think it tied the whole thing together!
I can’t wait to wear this during the summer!
(And to take some better pics outside when it’s not freezing:)